As I was recently browsing through last year's Calypte Anna photos, I came across this one. It was an instant favorite for me the day I took it. Don't the babies look like they're having a heart to heart chat, or maybe sharing a bit of hummer gossip?
I've always known this is an image I want to interpret somehow in fabric. So today I fiddled around in Photoshop Elements 7 and came up with this edited version:
The following may not make much sense if you don't have a Photoshop editing program of some sort. But anyway, here's what I did:
First, I cropped the image a bit and used the cloning tool to magically remove all those unsightly "dirty diapers" by covering them with cloned patches of branch, sky or nest. I saved this as a new image (thus keeping my original photo intact). The new image became the background layer for experimentation.
Next, in the layers menu, I created a duplicate layer, and on that I used a filter called "accented edges" to create some outline highlights.
Once that was done, I duplicated that layer and then used a filter called "paint daubs" to soften and texture the image.
Again, I duplicated that layer, and then adjusted the contrast.
Finally, I duplicated that layer and used a filter called "grain - regular" to add a bit more texture, and I adjusted the color saturation (which probably should have been done in yet another duplicate layer, but I forgot).
All these layers create a large file, but it allows the flexibility to revert to an earlier stage and then experiment with different subsequent choices. It also enables you to adjust the opacity (see-throughness) of each layer, which can also create interesting effects.
In this case, each new layer contained the cumulative effects of all previous layers, so ultimately I could delete all the intervening layers once I was happy with the final layer... unless I'd ever want to use one of those middle layers as the basis for a new project. (I admit, I'm a layer-saver.) But as a layered image, this takes up about 6 times as much storage space as a non-layered image.
Once I was happy with the final image, I saved it and printed it as a 5" x 7" size on EQ Printables inkjet cotton with my Canon MX860 printer, using high quality/photo paper settings. This is the first fabric print I've done on the new printer, so we'll see how the color holds up when I rinse/set it. (My old Epson printer set a pretty high standard in that regard.)
I'm not sure yet what's to become of this image, but I did notice that it goes nicely with the fabrics in my blue/purple quilted pillows.
I guess time will tell.